Andrews-Newton Digital Access Project

Congratulations to the City of Ottawa Archives for receiving a Museums and Technology Fund grant from the Government of Ontario to digitize 10,000 negatives from the Andrews – Newton Collection (1946 -1993).

The Andrews-Newton photographers documented Ottawa’s growth and transformation. From the post-war years through to the end of the 1950s, the staff worked as the official photographers for The Ottawa Citizen newspaper, capturing major events, moments of disasters and celebrations.

Great news for increased access to this important civic asset!


Dominion Observatory, Ottawa, July 7, 1954
Credit: City of Ottawa Archives /MG393/CA004816/ Newton Collection